Red Hat Certified Virtualization Administrator (RHCVA) Exam (EX318)
The performance-based Red Hat Certified Specialist in Virtualization exam (EX318) tests your ability to create, deploy, and manage Linux® virtual machines using Red Hat® Virtualization Manager.
By passing this exam, you become a Red Hat Certified Specialist in Virtualization, which also counts toward becoming a Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA).
This exam is based on Red Hat Virtualization 4.1.
Who should attend
These audiences may be interested in becoming a Red Hat Certified Specialist in Red Hat Virtualization:
- Linux system administrators who are responsible for, or seeking responsibility for, implementing and managing virtualization infrastructures
- System administrators from other platforms
- Any Red Hat Certified Engineers (RHCE®) who wishes to become a Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA).
Red Hat encourages all candidates for the Red Hat Certified Specialist in Red Hat Virtualization to consider taking the Red Hat Virtualization courses to help prepare. Attendance in these classes is not required; students can choose to take just the exam.
While attending Red Hat classes can be an important part of your preparation, attending class does not guarantee success on the exam. Previous experience, practice, and native aptitude are also important determinants of success.
Many books and other resources on system administration for Red Hat products are available. Red Hat does not endorse any of these materials as preparation guides for exams. Nevertheless, you may find additional reading helpful to deepen your understanding.
Red Hat recommends that you become a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA®) before attempting this exam, but it is not required.
Study points for the exam
To help you prepare, these exam objectives highlight the task areas you can expect to see covered in the exam. Red Hat reserves the right to add, modify, and remove exam objectives. Such changes will be made public in advance. You should be able to perform these tasks:
Install Red Hat Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor
- Install Red Hat Virtualization Manager and any dependencies.
- Configure Red Hat Virtualization Manager to authenticate against an external IPA service.
- Install Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor.
- Add one or more Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor instances to Red Hat Virtualization Manager.
- Configure storage domains.
- Import installation media into a storage domain.
- Create and manage datacenters and clusters.
Create and manage virtual machines
- Install virtual machines.
- Start and stop virtual machines.
- Edit virtual machine hardware characteristics.
- Configure automatic migration for virtual machines.
Work with virtual machine images
- Create snapshots.
- Create virtual machines from snapshots.
- Import existing virtual machine images into Red Hat Virtualization Manager.
Create and manage Red Hat Virtualization Manager users
- Create internal users.
- Create external users.
- Configure roles and assign users to those roles.
- Configure access using roles.
Automatically deploy virtual machines
- Create virtual machine templates.
- Deploy virtual machines using templates.
- Configure virtual machines using cloud-init.
Work with logical networks
- Create logical networks.
- Assign hosts to logical networks.
As with all Red Hat performance-based exams, configurations must persist after reboot without intervention.
This exam is a performance-based evaluation of Red Hat Virtualization Manager administration skills and knowledge. You perform a number of routine tasks using Red Hat Virtualization Manager and are evaluated on whether you have met specific objective criteria. Performance-based testing means you must perform tasks similar to what you perform on the job.
The Red Hat Certified Specialist in Red Hat Virtualization exam (EX318) is a single-section exam lasting 3 hours.
Scores and reporting
Official scores for exams come exclusively from Red Hat Certification Central. Red Hat does not authorize examiners or training partners to report results to candidates directly. Scores on the exam are usually reported within 3 U.S. business days.
Exam results are reported as total scores. Red Hat does not report performance on individual items, nor will it provide additional information upon request.
Prerequisites for this exam
- Experience using Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
- Red Hat Certified Systems Administrators or those with equivalent experience
Duration 3 hours